The Best Available Technique (BAT) reference document (BREF) for the Surface Treatment using Solvents (STS) is under revision. This BREF is applicable for the flexible printing industry. The BREF is part of the Industrial Emissions Directive 2010/75/EU (Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control). Latest Directive 2010/75/EU dates from 2010, the first STS BREF dates back from August 2007.
The new BREF has significant changes for the solvent emissions in the printing and flexographic industry and will get into force early 2020. It is therefore important to know the difference levels of the emission limits for your solvent emission.
Both the technologies of Pure Infinity, the BONCUS as well as the VOCUS are able to fully comply to the new legislation that is currently drafted in a pre- final draft that is open for publication in the end of 2019. We can assist you with the new legislation and how to comply to the new STS BREF.
A BREF is the vehicle through which best available techniques (BAT) and emerging techniques are determined in a transparent manner, based on sound techno-economic information
Key element of a BREF (BAT conclusions) are adopted through committee procedure and are the reference for setting permit conditions to installations covered by the Industrial Emission Directive. Final meetings have been done in December 2018. The BREFs inform the relevant decision makers about what may be technically and economically available to industry in order to improve their environmental performance and consequently improve the whole environment.
- printing (by heatset web offset, flexography and packaging gravure, publication gravure);
- painting and other coating activities (winding wires, cars, trucks, buses, trains, agricultural and construction equipment, ships and yachts, aircraft, wood and mirrors, furniture, metal coil, metal packaging, and other metal and plastic goods);
- waterproofing (by painting and wood preservation);
- adhesive application (in the manufacture of abrasives and adhesive tapes);
- cleaning and degreasing in conjunction with other surface treatment activities;
- impregnation for the preservation of wood.
Please find the Industrial Emissions Directive 2010/75/EU (Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control) in all languages here.